Tuesday, November 16, 2010

on the table

After months of looking for a dining room table, I finally stumbled upon one that I loved. Problem was that it was about $3500. Not happening. Especially given that it was going to be our everyday table...and we have a toddler around. Recipe for disaster. Me no thinks so.

Fast forward several more months when for work I had to go help clean out a satellite office that was closing. Lo and behold, in one of their meeting rooms, were three huge wooden tables. They had been donated years ago from an old schoolhouse. Sure enough, they were even complete with initial and expletive carvings.

Since I'm always looking for a deal (uh, and finding ways to incorporate the F word into dinnertime), I pocketed one of the tables for a mere $35. Much better without those two extra zeroes, eh?

So here she was in her original state:


After much stripping and sanding, we had this:


Then, we lovingly applied some sealer.


And then, finally, it was paint time. We used a white paint that was half watered down, because I didn't want to lose all of the wood grain. After a few coats, we then applied this wax, based off the recommendation of this tutorial. Which ended up bringing the wood grain back even more.


Now that it's all said and done, it looks a little something like this:






It suits our little family well for the time being, and regardless of what it looks like, it's nice to have a real, bona fide table that we aren't squished around when we have company (we just had a 4 person glass-top table before). Next up is getting to work on the chairs. My goal is to ditch those light chairs and replace them with four possibly mismatched others for a total of eight (including the four darker ones I already have). If the table project is any indication, it'll take me another six months figure out the chair situation. Slow and steady wins the race, right?

1 comment:

  1. beautifuuuuuuuuuuuuuul.
    reminds me of gazpacho...

    ReplyDelete