Friday, November 12, 2010

progress

I seem to be getting better at negotiating the minefield of being a stepparent. Nothing earth-shattering to report (pun totally intended...get it? minefield/earth-shattering?), just an overall more healthy sense of handling the issues, misunderstandings, ass-making assumptions, and frustrations that can and often do present themselves in blended families. Which, since my parents are on their 33rd (or is it 34th?) year of marriage, is completely new territory for me. So I'm exceedingly and unabashedly proud of myself for this, because it's the kind of thing that, if you let it, can totally consume you. So yay for functioning in the midst of a new and completely foreign normal.

In other news, I sold my wedding dress this week. As far as I can tell, the experience sums up the definition of bittersweet. I keep reminding myself that it's just a dress. Only the most beautiful dress I've ever seen, much less worn, much less freaking owned, but still, just a dress. And that even though it's classic and timeless, the chances are slim to none that I'll have a daughter who'd want to wear it in 25 or 30 years. Right? Plus, between now and then, it'd just sit in a box somewhere, and I didn't want to fork out the money to have it preserved, so then it'd just end up dry-rotting like my mom's did, and then all I'd be left with is a little swatch of fabric to remember it by anyway. So, I've clearly made the right decision to cash it in so I can buy some other material thing (like a couch) that has absolutely no sentimental worth at all. Um, good plan, right?

Sigh. I know it's the right decision, and anyway, the dress is headed up to North Carolina to be passed on to its next owner as we speak. Plus, I met the girl who's buying it, and she's super cute and nice and loves the dress as much as I do. So that makes it easier. I'll miss it, but at least I have pictures like these to help me remember it.




I'll miss you pretty dress. Be good for your next owner. Just please, for the love of God, don't look better on her.

1 comment:

  1. stunning, my friend, it. is. stunning. you are stunning. think of it as an organ transplant, it lives on...or something like that.

    ReplyDelete