Friday, October 3, 2014

5 minutes, just writing.

Today's 31 days post is a five minute free-write courtesy of it being 7 on a Friday night at the end of a long-ass stressful week. I rarely (really, never) write and post without hemming and hawing over my words and getting them as right as I can, so here's to trying something new. And marking the last thing off of today's to-do list off in 5 minutes or so. I think these 5 minutes just-writes will be a nice (and necessary!) addition to the mix of trying to write for the majority of the month.

Today I've been thinking a lot about perspective. I, like anyone, get caught in my own world, my own shifty self, so much so that I either lose perspective of the reality of things entirely, or I completely shut out what others' perspectives may be. I know I'm not alone in this.

Case in point: I reread an article today that I first came upon several years ago when we were first starting down the lonely road of infertility: The Age of Mechanical Reproduction. After some hormonal and, um, mechanical events in this area for us this week, I remembered the article and that I had it bookmarked in my browser at work, all the way back from 2011, I think.

Rereading the article snapped me right out of my own tunnel vision. With (in)fertility specifically, so often I stake my claim on this process as something that's happening to ME when there's very clearly another person involved in the equation. Remembering my husband's place and feeling in the process is something I need to be more aware of; I really don't feel as though I've been terrible at it, more so that like so many things in life, there's a lot of room for improvement.

And in general? It's a reminder to me more generally of the importance of deliberately stepping outside of myself every once in a while—in all relationships, with all things. That's a tall order, to be sure, but one worth striving for.

That was 12 minutes. Happy weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment