Thursday, October 23, 2014

Going to Allume


A funny thing is happening today.

This afternoon, I'm off to my first ever blogging conference. I'm headed to South Carolina for Allume, and I still can't believe I've actually signed up for this! It's a little out of my comfort zone, but over the last few years as I've wrestled with writing and its place in my life, I actually couldn't feel more sure about going.

My hopes for this conference and my time in Greenville:

1) Time // Time to think. Time to listen. Time to hear truths I need to hear. Time to tell myself truths that are often drowned out by the noise of my everyday life. Time to recharge.

2) Purpose // I struggle so much with the balance of work, motherhood, and making a home, and so I have deep questions about using my time and passion for writing in a way that has a true, clear purpose. That goes for this space, too. While it's important to me to be able to write just for myself, I also feel the need to temper that with my words having a clear anchor. Roots, so to speak. What are all of these blog posts adding up to? What's the story I'm trying to tell? While in my heart I know some of the answers to these questions, I find it difficult to translate those into a clear vision of what this space should look like, what my writing should feel like. I'm hoping that my time at Allume will help me sort through some of that and come a few steps closer to finding my real writing voice.

3) Connection // This one comes with a very real dose of fear, too. Walking into a conference of 450+ other women, not knowing a soul? Um, that's kind of my worst nightmare. I'm a tried and true introvert, and so while I'm nervous (it's like the first day of high school!), I keep reminding myself that this should be one of the very best places to make a true connection or two.

4) Greenville //  I wanted to put about 15 exclamation points after that—I am SO excited to get a few days in downtown Greenville, where I went to college at Furman and stayed a while after. I lived there for almost 7 years! While it's only a 3 hour drive away, I haven't been back in...4 years? 5? It also happens to be homecoming weekend, and while I don't have grand plans for participating in any of the activities, I definitely plan to hit campus and take a nostalgic stroll down the Furman mall.

So that's my little list. I can't wait to go and report back on what I come away with.


*image of Greenville's Falls Park tree, via Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment