Friday, January 16, 2015

a few things for Friday


The North Sea from the coast of Denmark, December 2012

1. After some long, cold, grey weeks, and being married to a Dane, I'm always reminded of the concept of hygge this time of year. What's hygge? The easiest translation for it is "coziness," but it's actually so much more than that. It's a mindset, a state of being, a frame of mind. It's choosing to embrace the opportunity for quiet and calm in winter instead of going crazy with our notion of cabin fever. It's one of my favorite things about Danish culture, but it's not an easy one to practice in our fast-moving culture of now. This article is one of the better explanations of it that I've come across. Read it.

2. Watching this made me pretty happy.

3. Let's Get Drinks: This made me laugh out loud. More than once.

4. On Creativity, True Self, and Finding Inspiration: Loved, loved, loved this. This really brought into focus some of the things I want to work on this year. Creative input/output and writer's block, and creating (rather than finding) time to write. Reading this makes me feel like there's the beginning of a road map to make some changes I've been mulling over for a while.

5. I got a haircut this past week, and it was hands down the best one I've ever had. I got to the point that I was so in need of a cut that I just didn't really care who did it, and so when I called my salon and the first available appointment was with a guy (who I later found out has cut my husband's hair several times), I threw caution to the wind and snatched it up. So glad I did. I'm usually one of those people that puts my hair in a pony on my way out of the salon because I typically don't like the way anyone else styles it. But not this time, oh no. This guy better not ever think about leaving town; that's all I have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment