Friday, February 20, 2015

friday things


We spent the beginning of the week hit with mega-colds at our house (from daycare, I'm sure of it). So I spent a lot of time having a stare down with a pack of DayQuil, and when that didn't help and my teeth started hurting, I realized I had a sinus infection so went in to the walk-in clinic Sunday afternoon since they were calling for ice here on Monday. And I'm so glad I did, because then we were iced in for a few days and having gotten a steroid shot I was able to feel human again and enjoy some really sweet family time. There was a lot of outside play for those few days—turns out the girls are total snow bunnies—along with some cookie-making and house-cleaning. Two days off of work was the perfect amount of snow-time to enjoy without having cabin fever set in. I don't know if it's their ages and just a phase, but their playing together is so sweet and fun to watch right now, and between the weekend and the holiday and the snow days, I had 5 full days at home, and it was the first time that I really got some proof positive that I could, someday, possibly be really happy staying home with kids. Not that it would be easy, there were plenty of "if I have to pick up one more thing off the floor..." moments, but there are a lot of those moments as it is, and my point is that I just got a little glimpse of not working and being home and feeling like I had a little more time and energy to put towards being home, and being home well, if that makes sense, and there was a part of me that really liked it. Hm.




On that note and along those lines, lots of talk this week about careers at our house. The funding for my current work project runs out in August, so change is coming and feels more imminent by the day. It's on one hand stressful and anxiety-inducing, but on the other, all kinds of exciting to know that something new will be on the horizon. Reading this really hit home and is giving me some good baseline questions to ask as I think about the way forward and all of the potential that comes along with change and new beginnings.


I'm still working hard on my editing for the year and am happy to report that instead losing momentum by February, as it goes with a lot of resolution attempts, I'm actually gaining steam. I've been hearing a lot about this book and have seen mixed reviews. I read the whole "look inside" preview on amazon and see some things I like but don't know if I'll buy. I may just keep doing what I'm doing around the house, which is essentially just throwing a lot of stuff away and then reorganizing what's left. So do I need a book to tell me how to do all of this? Maybe not. Maybe I need to spend more time just doing and less time thinking/reading/writing about it. Right?

Have a happy, cozy weekend, where ever you are.






1 comment:

  1. I just read your post on Miggy's blog. I hope you don't mind me sending this message. It looks like you haven't posted for awhile so I'm hoping you will still see this. Your description of your husband's accident and stroke is why I am sending this. My daughter in law recently had a torn carotid artery. She had two small strokes and symptoms of stroke five additional times. She spend several days in ICU. After being dismissed from the hospital and not knowing what she was able to do as far as everyday activities, they have had additional testing at Cleveland Clinic this past Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. They have ruled out FMD but are still trying to decide why this happened. She is forty, in good health and shape. She does cross-fit. Of course, most in her family thinks this is how it happened. When you research this kind of injury it even says serious car accident. She so far has had no lasting effects from the strokes. Her concern is how to avoid this happening again. That's why they went to Cleveland Clinic. We all know that she was more than lucky about the mini strokes. I am wondering if you could share anything that you have found out in your experience that might shed some light on this. So sorry to bring up old memories. Your husband had such a terrible accident. I can't believe all of his injuries. I know this is so far from what happened to him. By the way, your girls are so cute. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete